2/16/2012

Baseball Birthday

In December, Trent, Dylan & I stopped by the Durham Bulls Athletic Park for the Holiday Open house. One of the perks turned out to be an opportunity to buy old stadium signs. While thumbing through the options, an idea hit me - one of the signs would make a perfect first birthday gift for one of the boys in our playgroup. His parents are big Bulls fans and we had all attended a game together last spring. When I found a sign for Section 216 (his birthday is today, 2/16!) I knew we had to buy it.


I made a baseball themed card to match using both digital and traditional scrapbooking supplies I had on hand.


I had printed several pieces for embellishments, but wasn't pleased with the look of all of them. Thus, I grabbed some blue paper from my scraps bin and cut it freehand. Then used my sewing machine to stitch it on. For the star, I had envisioned a chipboard piece but didn't have any. I did have an old frame of chipboard shapes from Basic Grey on hand. I traced a star onto an old coffee cup sleeve, cut it out, bent it up a bit for a rough leather-ish look and tacked it on with a brad. Honestly, it's my favorite element on the card.

Not the most traditional gift & card for a first birthday, but it seemed to fit just right. :)

Supplies: Recollections card & white cardstock; Sara Schmutz's No 1 Fan kit; Bazzill cardstock; patterned paper; Coats & Clark thread; coffee cup sleeve; Making Memories metal brad.

3 comments:

  1. What a fabulous idea, and a perfect gift for that little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're an awesome friend! I hope your play group continues to grow up together all the way to adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the gift idea. It is so thoughtful. Cute card too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading them all. :)