5/13/2008

Starbucks T-Shirt Bag

Trent & I have been doing little things to "be green" for years now. We both carry our lunches to work in fabric bags - mine was a gift from my mother :) - and recently we purchased Sigg aluminum water bottles to replace plastic ones.

My only dilemma has been toting these two items (my lunch fills the bag so no room for the bottle) plus my mug of coffee and purse. Ok so the purse can sling over my shoulder, but I'm not very skilled at juggling both drink containers, lunch and my keys. I've been putting the lunch & water bottle in a paper shopping bag which works great except for that nagging thought in the back of my mind that I have another idea on my "crafty to-do" list which would also work and, well, I just want to try.

A few months ago, I saw another blogger post with a reusable bag she made from a Heinz ketchup t-shirt. I've searched tonight to link that post and can not find it (anyone know what I'm talking about??). The idea came from the Martha Stewart Show (Good Thing: T-Shirt Bag). I've been wanting to make my own, but it keeps hitting the back burner.

Last night, I dug through my drawer of printed t-shirts. I cleaned it out pretty well last year so I only had about 2 dozen to pick from. But the choice was easy - my free Starbucks tee! It was part of a giveaway Starbucks had last year. It's way too small for me. I haven't worn it and probably never will, but love the cute print.

So, I pulled out the sewing machine. Grabbed some purple thread for a bit of accent. And began to sew. I followed the instructions except that I took about 7.5 inches off the bottom. Sewing the bottom at the existing seams created a bag that was too big for my intended use. Here's the result:


12 comments:

  1. totally cool thanks for sharing and so fashionable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Sarah! That's just too cute! LOVE it!! I wanna try one now too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool idea! The bag looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an adorable bag & a great idea! I also love your water bottle.....may have to get one of those to take to the gym with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember seeing that t-shirt bag on the Martha show as well. Yours turned out pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you're so talented!! I am more and more wanting to learn how to sew!! All the awesome things one can do with a sewing machine!

    question, can your water bottle be put in the freezer? I have been thinking of getting a bottle like that but I can only drink water that is partly frozen so I usually fill mine up half way and put it in the freezer over night then fill it up the rest of the way to take it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is awesome!!! man I wish I knew how to sew

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a cool idea! You did great thanks for sharing that!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! I enjoy reading them all. :)